The policy of the college with respect to release of information concerning students is based on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). This law helps protect the privacy of student education records. The Act provides for the right of students to inspect and review education records, the right to seek to amend those records and the right to limit disclosure of information from the records. The intent of the legislation is to protect the rights of students and to ensure the privacy and accuracy of education records. With certain exceptions, AC will not disclose personally identifiable information from a student’s education records to any third-party without written consent from the student. The law does allow authorized college personnel access to information contained in the records for facilitating internal college operations, promoting the student’s education and reporting to local, state and federal agencies. The complete college policy concerning release of information about student s is available upon request from the Records Office. Students wanting their parent, friend or other individual to access or obtain their records should give that person a signed release specifying what they need and a copy of the student’s picture ID.


In accordance with the act (PL 93-380, section 513), as amended, and (PL 93-568, section 2), information classified as “Directory Information” may be released to the general public without consent of the student. Angelina College may at its discretion, release Directory Information which shall include:
•Name, address, telephone number
•Dates of attendance
•Degrees and awards received
•Date of graduation
•Participation in recognized activities and sports

Students may at any time request that all Directory Information be withheld by completing a Non-disclosure Statement located in the Records Office. Once non-disclosure is requested, all directory information will be withheld. A student can at any time change their status back to allow for disclosure of directory information by submitting an official request in writing to the Records Office. For more information, see the Records Office or call (936) 633-5211.