Concurrent – Dual Credit – Early College

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.) How do I register for classes?

Registration for classes is coordinated with your high school counselor or homeschool parent. Be sure to check there first! Click on Steps to Register on the concurrent homepage. Things you will need to do:

1.) Complete the AC online application.
2.) Send a copy of test scores showing you are college ready.

3.) Complete and send the registration form for each semester you plan to attend, listing the classes you wish to take. The registration form must be signed by you, your parent, and your high school counselor.
4.) Send bacterial meningitis record showing immunization within five years of start of classes.

5.) Send a copy of your high school transcript.
Q.) How do I withdraw from a class?

It is the student’s responsibility to complete and sign a request and send this to the Records Office or the office of Distance Learning. Be aware of the drop dates published on the Academic Calendar to assure you have not passed drop dates or refund periods.


Q.) Who is responsible for paying for my classes and books?

Some school districts pay for tuition/fees and or books for students. Contact your high school counselor to see if they pay for class and make sure to pay off any remaining balances to AC that the school does not pay (For example: some schools only pay for two classes leaving the student to pay for a third class.) Keep in mind that failure to pay for your classes by posted deadlines will result in you being dropped meaning that you may lose the opportunity to take the class.


Q.) How can I be a successful AC student?

It is important to recognize that as the student, you need to take responsibility for your learning. If you have questions about an assignment or make-up tests, grades, or other issue, contact your AC instructor. Also, federal regulations (FERPA) prohibit AC instructors from communicating with your parents about your grades or performance unless you have signed a Release for them to do so. If at all possible, contact the instructor yourself knowing that your AC instructors are approachable and are willing to help in your college experience.


Q.) How can I manage an Online Class?

AC has a wide variety of course offerings online. Most of these courses are delivered through our Learning Management System called Blackboard. It is very important that you login to your class through Blackboard the first day of class. Also, be aware that many of these online classes have mandatory orientations. Check the interactive schedule to find out if, when, and where your orientation will be held. Keep in mind that online classes require self-discipline and can often be more difficult than standard face-to-face courses. Make sure you view the testing procedures for online courses, recognizing that you will need to schedule in advance with our testing center for exams that need to be proctored.


Q.) How do I check my grades?

Many teachers use Blackboard to update grades allowing students easy access. We advise that you keep a record of all of your grades and check with your syllabus to determine how your final grade will be calculated. If you have questions about your grade, please consult with your AC instructor. For grade grievances, consult the Grievance Policy in the General Bulletin.

To view your end of course grades, login to the AC Portal and use the “view grades” tab.


Q.) What is GPA?

This your permanent record. Just as in high school, GPA is your Grade Point Average. AC, along with most colleges use a 4 point scale. An A is awarded 4 points, B – 3 points, C – 2 points, D – 1 point, F – 0 points. Your GPA is calculated by taking the cumulative points earned and dividing it by total hours attempted. An easy way to look at it is a 3.0 cumulative average is equivalent to a “B” overall average, a 4.0 cumulative average is equivalent to an “A” overall average. Your GPA is important as it is your permanent record. Keep in mind, many programs, such as nursing or engineering, require you to have a competitive GPA .


Q.) What happens if I make a D or F?

Making a “D” or “F” is not the end of the world. A “D” is considered passing at AC and will often transfer to four-year universities (though you need to check with the University to which you plan to transfer). Nevertheless, you must maintain at least a 1.5 GPA to continue taking courses as a concurrent student (if you have less than 12 hours). Also, some high schools will not allow you to continue concurrent enrollment if you received a “D” or “F”. It is recommended that you re-evaluate your decision to take concurrent classes if you make a “D” or “F” in a course. If these courses were taken for high school dual credit, you must realize that your first priority is to graduate from high school. Please also see the probation/suspension policy in the AC Student Handbook.

Students must maintain above a 1.5 GPA to continue taking classes. This is also a safeguard to preventing students from being placed on financial aid probation once they begin taking classes after high school.


Q.) How to appeal a grade?

To dispute a grade, the student (not parent) must follow the Grievance Policy outlined in the General Bulletin.

Grade Appeal: When a student believes a grade does not reflect his/her level of accomplishment, the following procedure should be implemented within two weeks after the receipt of the grade:

  1. Submit a written request for review to the instructor, and if the resolution is not accepted;
  2. Submit a written request to the appropriate Associate Dean of Instruction, and if the resolution is not accepted;
  3. Submit a written request to the Vice President of Academic Affairs, and if the resolution is not accepted;

Submit a written request to the President of the college.  The decision of the President, or his designee, is final.


Q.) How do I request help in a class?

Your AC instructor will be a good resource for assistance. Another great way to get help in class is to utilize the Student Tutoring and Access Center (STAC) located in the second floor of the library.


Q.) Will this class transfer?

Credit courses at AC do transfer to other Universities. Nevertheless, it is a very important to assure that the specific course you take will transfer. We recommend going to the website of the University you plan to attend and view their transfer guide. Another great place to look is the Texas Common Course Guide. Keep in mind, if a course is not listed as a transfer course on the University’s website, this does not necessarily mean that you will not receive credit for the course. You may need to speak with a guidance counselor. Feel free to e-mail the AC Concurrent Counselor for help.


Q.) Can my parent call the teacher about my grade?

Federal regulations (FERPA) prohibit instructors from disclosing performance information about a student to parents without written consent from the student. AC does have an agreement with the high schools to release final grades through the Counselor Portal to high school counselors. Requests about grades/course information should be made by the student directly to the instructor.


Q.) Does my high school counselor have to approve and sign my registration form if I come in the summer or at night?

Your high school counselor (or parent, if homeschooled) must approve all college courses you take. This approval is required every semester and documented on the AC Registration Form.


Q.) What happens if I miss a lot of class because of school functions? Are there excused absences?

AC does not have “excused absences.” If you miss class, it is your responsibility to get class materials and contact your instructor for any make-up exams. See the course syllabus for your course for details. If you are aware that you will miss several classes for sports or other UIL events-you should be advised to not take the class. Excessive absences can lead to you being dropped from the course. The general rule is that three consecutive or four cumulative absences can result in an automatic “W” or withdraw.


Q.) How do I request a transcript to send to another college or University?

Contact the Records Office to complete a Transcript Request before our records office will send an official transcript. We must receive your final high school transcript before sending a college transcript. Make sure that your high school sends us an official high school transcript if you have taken any concurrent courses with AC.


Steps to Register

AC Web Portal

Important Dates

AC Student Email


AC Blackboard

Career Planning

HS Counselor Portal