Financial Aid FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

What forms and documents will I need to apply for the Pell Grant and all these other grants and scholarships?

For scholarships, contact the Financial Aid office for applications, deadlines and specific requirements. For any grant, including the Pell Grant, the only application you need is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When applying for any grant or short term loan, you should be prepared to provide Angelina College with copies of various documents, if requested. Some of these may include divorce decrees, income tax returns from you, your spouse, and/or your parents, W-2 forms and documentation regarding other untaxed income, such as Social Security and TANF (formerly AFDC).

Are there other requirements?

To obtain financial aid at Angelina College, you will need to fulfill the requirements for registration and be in satisfactory academic standing with the college. For more information, return to the Home Page and click on Future Student.

When applying for grants, you may be required to have your high school or GED transcript on file in the Admissions Office. In addition, to these transcripts, if you have been to any other college or trade school, you must also have current academic transcripts from those schools on file in the Admissions Office.

How do I continue receiving financial aid?

Be sure to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each award year; for example, 2011-12 covers the Fall 2011, Spring 2012, and Summer 2012 semesters at Angelina College.

Additionally, you need to check your transcript to see if you are maintaining “satisfactory progress” towards your degree.

Where can I get more information about financial aid and veteran’s benefits?

For questions concerning financial aid programs, veteran’s benefits, or Hazlewood Act benefits, please call 936 633-5291 or e-mail us.

When is the Financial Aid Office open?

Regular hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Summer hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

What is Angelina College’s address?

Angelina College, P.O. Box 1768, Lufkin, TX 75902 or 3500 South First Street Lufkin, Texas 75901. Angelina College’s school code is 006661.

Pell Grants

How soon should I apply for the Pell Grant if I want to attend Angelina College?

As soon as you have completed your latest income tax return – the sooner, the better.

What if neither I nor my parents will file an income tax return?

Then you may send in your Pell application (FAFSA) as soon as you wish. There is space for you on the FAFSA to indicate that you will not be filing an income tax return.

How often do I have to apply for the Pell Grant?

Just once a year.

How long does it take to get a Pell Grant?

That depends on you. The sooner you complete your FAFSA application, the sooner you will know about your grant. You may also apply for your Pell Grant over the Internet.

After I apply, what am I waiting for?

You’re waiting for a Student Aid Report (SAR). That’s what the government sends back to you. The SAR lets us know if you are eligible to receive a Pell Grant. On the SAR is an EFC number (Estimated Family contribution). This number is what the federal government has determined you can contribute to your own education. Your award will be based on this EFC number.

What if I forgot to list Angelina College as one of the institutions to receive my Student Aid Report?

You may call: 1-800-433-3243 or 1-800-4FEDAID.

How many hours do I have to take to get a Pell Grant?

You must be enrolled in at least three (3) hours to receive a Pell Grant.

If I transfer from another college and I have a Pell Grant, will my Pell transfer, too?

If you are eligible for a Pell Grant at another institution, chances are that you will be eligible for a Pell Grant at Angelina College. However, you must submit a Student Aid Report to Angelina College, as well as the other paperwork required to process a Pell Grant at Angelina College.



What kinds of scholarships are available?

High School Scholarships: Angelina College will grant to the valedictorian of each high school in this section of the state a one-year scholarship equal to full tuition as shown in the AC General Bulletin. This scholarship must be used during the fall and spring semesters following high school graduation. Recent graduates of Angelina County high schools may be eligible for the Angelina Challenge Award.

Angelina College Institutional Scholarships: Several Angelina scholarships depend on federal financial aid eligibility. The Angelina College Scholarship Committee recommends that the first thing a student should do when making application for scholarships is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

This application is available in the financial aid office, most public libraries, and the local high school counselor’s office. Completion of this application will indicate to the student if he/she qualifies for federal or state financial aid, which includes the Pell Grant, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants, College Work Study programs, or Texas Public Education Grant.

How do I know if I am eligible for a scholarship?

Typically, a scholarship recipient must be enrolled full-time and have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
There are six different categories of scholarships.

Category One: General Academic Scholarships-These scholarships are available primarily to recent high school graduates who have demonstrated academic excellence in high school. However, some academic scholarships are awarded to continuing students at AC or transfer students who have demonstrated academic excellence in their college courses. To be considered for an academic scholarship, the student is strongly encouraged to submit ACT or SAT test scores with the scholarship application.

Category Two: Angelina Challenge Award-This scholarship is reserved for recent graduates of accredited high schools in Angelina County and is awarded on a first come, first serve basis. To be eligible for this award, students must apply for the Pell Grant and must not qualify for more than $800 in financial aid.

Category Three: Boon Scholarships-There are two Boon Scholarships, the Boon Opportunity Scholarship and the Boon Teaching Award. The Boon Opportunity Award is reserved for adult students returning to college from the world of work, or homemaking and students completing their G.E.D. The Boon Teaching Award is reserved for students in a pre-education major from one of the counties in the college service area who plan to teach in this area after they complete their degrees.

Category Four: Health Careers Scholarships-These scholarships are reserved for students enrolled in a health careers program.

Category Five: Vivian Ezelle Johnson Scholarships-These scholarships are reserved for students who have a documented physical or learning disability.

Category Six: Shands Family Scholarships-These scholarships are reserved for students ho have financial need that is not met by other scholarships or financial aid. Priority is given to students majoring in high demand occupations.

How can I apply?
To apply, come by the Financial Aid Office, Room 208, Student Center. Our regular office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Our summer hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Application for scholarships awarded by the college should be addressed to the appropriate division or committee. P.O. Box 1768, Lufkin, TX 75902. Recent high school graduates are strongly encouraged to submit ACT or SAT results with the scholarship applications.


College Work-Study Program

The College Work Study Program provides employment for students with the greatest financial need in meeting educational expenses. Funds are provided by the federal government and by a contribution from the educational institution.

Students who participate in the program must show need for financial assistance, must be accepted for enrollment or be enrolled, and must maintain good academic standing.

The Financial Aid Office is responsible for determining which students may be employed under the program. Students may earn only the amount needed for education expenses. They may work up to a maximum of 15 hours per week during long semesters and 35 hours per week during the summer months.

The college policy for work in the program is that the student must enroll and retain at least 12 hours during a semester.

Other Employment
A large source of financial aid available to students at Angelina College is through student employment. Jobs are available with various firms in the community. The rate of pay varies, depending on the type of jobs, skill, and training of the individual. A student should contact the Placement Office for off campus job opportunities.