Statement of Mission of Angelina College
Mission: The mission of Angelina College is to provide quality educational opportunities and services to aid students in the service area in reaching their full potential.
The College mission embodies the following five institutional goals:
Goal One: Expanding Access to Higher Education Opportunities – Angelina College will increase awareness of the educational opportunities and services offered by the college, continuously improve processes and services to make enrollment convenient and efficient, and expand access to all credit and noncredit programs.
Goal Two: Promoting Student Success – Angelina College will assist students in identifying and achieving their educational goals including program completion, academic transfer, basic skills improvement, career preparation, and personal and professional growth.
Goal Three: Pursuing Excellence through Continuous Improvement – Angelina College will cultivate a learning and working environment committed to evidence-based decision making, identifying and implementing best practices, and continuously improving programs and services.
Goal Four: Engaging in Community Service – Angelina College will provide programs and services to support learners’ career and personal enrichment goals, to meet the human capital needs of employers, to contribute to the social and cultural environment of the region, and to support economic development in the college’s service area.
Goal Five: Investing Responsibly in Quality – Manage resources in a prudent manner while investing to enhance educational offerings and the physical environment to meet student and community needs and expectations.
The College mission is realized in the statutory purpose as follows:
- Freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences leading to an associates degree and/or transferring to general academic, professional and applied baccalaureate degree programs.
- Technical programs leading to associate degrees or certificates.
- Workforce education programs leading directly to employment.
- Workforce development programs designed to meet local, regional, and statewide needs.
- Academic readiness services designed to fulfill the commitment of an admissions policy allowing the enrollment of disadvantaged students.
- A continuing program of services designed to assist students in achieving their educational goals.
- Continuing adult education programs for occupational or personal growth.
- Literacy and other basic programs for adults.
Other purposes will be added as may be prescribed by the Texas Higher Educational Coordinating Board, or the District’s Board, Texas Education Code, 130.003(e). The College mission is evident in the following philosophy:
Angelina College was established to fulfill an educational need of the community. The elected board subscribes to excellence in instruction, programs, and services provided to the college district and to the service area through the traditional classroom and through distance education. The College will assist a diverse student population to prepare for a rapidly changing and highly technological world through quality educational programs and services. Angelina College is also committed to serving the needs of a changing community through an open enrollment policy. An active relationship between the College and the community is essential to ensure relevance and vitality in educational programs and services, and to enhance the economic, cultural, and social life of the community through lifelong learning opportunities. This commitment is based on the ideas that lifelong learning is vital to maintaining and improving a democratic society, and that education maximizes opportunities for all people.
Angelina College will be the first choice in value and quality education leading to diverse career pathways throughout its service area.
Angelina College is accountable throughout the community for the core values of:
- Integrity — Honesty, respect, fairness, and ethical conduct;
- Diversity — Individual differences and cultural acknowledgement in the learning and working environment;
- Excellence and Success — Lifelong learning through quality teaching and service experiences for personal, social, and economic development;
- Collaboration and Partnerships — Communication which leads to shared goal attainment and connections within the institution and throughout the service area;
- Institutional Vigor — Fiscal accountability, personnel development, and improvement in programs and services;
- Innovation — Exploration, inquiry, and risk-taking for all relevant programs and services.