What is the purpose of the Institutional Review Board (IRB)?
The IRB is the Angelina College committee that reviews and approves protocols for the use of human subjects in research. Federal regulations require that the IRB have at least five members representing a variety of backgrounds, training and experience. At least one member must have no formal or family connection with the College and be invited to serve as community representative.The IRB reviews research proposals to ensure that the rights and welfare of human subjects used in research studies are protected. The IRB assures that
- Risks have been considered and minimized.
- Benefits have been identified and maximized.
- Subjects only volunteer to participate after being provided with legally effective informed consent.
- That all research is conducted in an ethical manner and in compliance with established standards.
- That all private information is handled with confidentiality.
How do I know if I am doing research?
Research is a systematic investigation including research development, testing and evaluations, designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge. If you plan to present, publish, or otherwise share results of the study outside of Angelina College, it is generally considered research.
How do I know if I am using human subjects?
Human participants are defined as living individuals about whom an investigator conducting research obtains data through intervention or interaction with the individual; or obtains data through identifiable private information. A researcher is considered to be using human subjects/participants when:
- Individuals are asked to complete questionnaires, participate in interviews, or whose behavior is observed in daily activities
- Oral history interviewees are studied to get their subjective impressions
- Students and teachers are observed in the classroom for the study of various teaching methods or development of curricula
- A researcher asks for data on students or staff from the College Analytics and Reporting office at Angelina College