DK (Regulation) – Professional Development

The College District shall maintain a program to encourage professional growth and development. The College District provides internal activities, seminars, meetings, and classes that are for the purpose of staff development. Some of these are required while others are discretionary as determined by the individual and/or supervisor. Faculty and staff are encouraged to participate in these opportunities for professional growth and development. Many of these are arranged through the division of community services.

Instructors shall meet or exceed the current standards of the College Delegate Assembly of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.

Full-time and part-time faculty members teaching credit courses in humanities/fine arts; social/behavioral sciences, and natural sciences/mathematics must hold at least a master’s degree. The master’s degree may either be in a major in the teaching discipline or include at least 18 graduate hours in the teaching discipline.

Each full-time and part-time faculty member teaching courses in professional, occupational, and technical areas, must possess at least a bachelor’s degree with at least three years of current and relevant work experience. The minimum academic degree for faculty teaching in professional and occupational areas with separate accreditation must be at the level required by the state and/or national accrediting organization. If students transfer in substantial numbers to a university, the instructors teaching must have a masters and 18 graduate hours in the discipline.

In exceptional cases, outstanding professional experience and demonstrated contributions to the discipline may be presented in lieu of formal academic preparation for faculty members teaching both transfer and non-transfer courses. Such exceptions will be justified on an individual basis.

Faculty members who teach in developmental programs must hold at least a bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to their teaching assignment, and either classroom experience in a discipline related to their teaching assignment or graduate training in remedial education.

All laboratory assistants must have established work skills or other experiences that help them relate these skills to the professional, occupational, and technical areas.

All faculty members should have attributes and experiences that help them relate to a diverse student population.

Hours beyond the master’s degree affecting salary schedule placement shall be earned in the major teaching field of the instructor or in a supporting discipline (as approved by the vice president and dean of instruction) that shall advance teaching skill as a community College District instructor.

All full-time and part-time faculty must submit an application, official transcripts, and if appropriate, official documentation of professional and work experience, technical and performance competency, licenses and certifications, and other qualifications as defined in the vacancy announcement.

Each full-time faculty member must document completion of required professional development annually on the form provided. The file is maintained in the office of the vice president and dean of instruction.

The College District shall establish a program of assessment and assistance for faculty and teaching personnel whose primary language is not English and require them to become proficient in the use of English. The College District affirms that all courses (with the exception of foreign languages) will be clearly taught in the English language. A faculty member may also use the native language of the student to provide individual assistance during course instruction. All position candidates will be notified of this requirement and all screening committees will evaluate English proficiency during the interview.

The cost of an English proficiency course shall be paid by the faculty member lacking proficiency in English. A faculty member shall take the course until deemed proficient in English by his or her supervisor.

REVISED: 06/12