POSITION: Full-Time Science Laboratory Coordinator – Lufkin
EMPLOYMENT DATE: Until Filled
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biology or closely related field with at least 18 hours of coursework in biology and/or chemistry required.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Knowledge of aseptic techniques preferred.
- Strong organizational skills preferred.
- Skill in using computers and associated software programs (e.g. Word, Excel) preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty and staff preferred.
- Ability to work independently and under stress preferred.
- Previous employment experience in a laboratory setting preferred.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, including those with disabilities.
- Understand how to work successfully as a team within all levels of the organization and know how to contribute to the mission of the college.
It is the intent of the basic job requirements, duties, and responsibilities that these minimum requirements should, therefore, be referred to as a guide for, rather than a limitation to the services required.
The position will report to the Associate Dean of Instruction, Science & Mathematics Division for job responsibilities and other College related activities as outlined in the Policies and Procedures Manual. Essential duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Complete and/or supervise daily and weekly set-up and take-down of biology and chemistry lab materials;
- Prepare microbiological media, cultures, and/or chemical solutions for use in laboratories;
- Clean up after laboratory sessions and safely dispose of waste chemicals and biological materials in accordance with AC policies and state and federal regulations;
- Keep laboratories and storage/prep rooms neat and organized;
- Maintain inventory of laboratory chemicals, equipment, supplies, and hazardous materials for biology and chemistry laboratories and prep rooms, both on and off campus;
- Perform routine maintenance on a basic laboratory equipment, trouble-shoot equipment as needed, make minor repairs and/or arrange for service repair;
- Maintain binder of Safety Data Sheets for chemicals in the laboratories, both on and off campus, and ensure SDS book is stored in a location accessible to students and other stakeholders;
- Maintain working knowledge of health and safety procedures/regulations including bloodborne pathogen training;
- Regularly check eyewash and safety shower stations in biology and chemistry laboratories to ensure proper function;
- Work with biology and chemistry faculty, the administrative assistant, and the Associate Dean of Instruction to purchase required items, receive shipments and verify contents, properly store a sufficient inventory of supplies and equipment based on faculty requests;
- Communicate effectively with division faculty (both full-time and part-time) and staff;
- Facilitate a positive, student-centered, and professional environment among students, faculty, and staff;
- Help supervise, train, and assist the work-study students assigned to work in the biology and chemistry laboratories;
- Assist with instruction of lab sessions as needed;
- Serve as the primary substitute instructor for biology and chemistry labs;
- Serve as the environmental health and safety officer for the division;
- Ensure proper storage and disposal of hazardous materials, including biological and chemical hazards;
- Assist students and faculty as needed with the operation of laboratory equipment;
- Participate in College meetings, events, and committees and appropriate or required; and
- Assist the Science & Mathematics division with general office duties as needed.
- Occasional lifting of items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional weekend work required.
- Periodic travel to off-campus centers required.
WAGE AND HOURS:
$ 14.50 – $16.01
Screening of qualified applicants will begin and continue until the position is filled. The position is open until filled. This is a security sensitive position and an appropriate background investigation will be made on applicants being strongly considered for this position. Please download and save the application to your computer before completing. The application may be downloaded via our website at http://www.angelina.edu/hr-jobs/ or application forms may be requested from Human Resources. Completed application must be submitted to: Human Resources, Angelina College, P.O. Box 1768, Lufkin TX 75902-1768, faxed to 936-633-3230 or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Angelina College is a comprehensive co-education public junior college of 5,200 students located in Lufkin, Angelina County, Texas. Lufkin is a city of 38,000 people, situated in East Texas about 120 miles northeast of Houston, 112 miles southwest of Shreveport, Louisiana, and 165 miles southeast of Dallas.
Angelina College reserves the right to extend search or not offer position advertised.
ANGELINA COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY