Child Care Assistance
Many of AC’s students have small children who must be cared for if their parents are to attend classes. Knowing this, AC has worked with the Deep East Texas Local Workforce Board to create a sizeable fund to assist parents in paying for childcare. This fund is administered by the region’s Child Care Services (CCS) contractor in Jasper. Note: Funding for 2010-2011 was not adequate to assure summer child care for students whose children had not been in care during Spring 2011. Because the new funding for CCS will not be available until Oct. 1, 2011, we do not yet know whether child care will be available for Aug. 29 – Sept. 30, 2011. To be assured of care while attending that month’s classes, the student should make other arrangements for that month’s child care.
To secure assistance in paying for childcare, the student must follow the steps below:
1. About two weeks before the semester begins, go to Room 208 in the Student Center to pick up an application for services.
2. Go to Campus Connect and print a copy of your class schedule and your unofficial transcript (“Advising Guide”).
3. Fax or mail to CCS all of the following:
Note: CCS FAX number and address are on the application.
4. About a week later, you will receive a call from a CCS case manager. (Be sure that the phone number on your application is a working number.)
Suggestions for Selecting a Child Care Center
1. Interview caregivers to find out about hours of operation, cost, age of children accepted, number of children in care, licensing and accreditation, meals provided, and transportation (to and from school, if that age child is involved).